One of the few surviving traditional ‘high street’ areas in Coventry, the Burges is one of the city’s earliest medieval streets with the buildings on the eastern side retaining much of the medieval fabric behind 18th-century frontages. The street’s name, the Burges, it has been a home for independent local businesses for generations.
Burges, is a corruption of ‘the Bridges’, as the street runs over the River Sherbourne its tributiary. Hales Street was created in 1848 to improve traffic flows around the medieval city and historic photos show it has been a home for independent local businesses for generations. The locally listed buildings in both streets have been expertly restored over the last few months and Astra Signs were appointed at the referral of the dedicated architect for the project Corstophine + Wright to supply and install all the signage required for each shopfront for each of the appointed contractors on site. The finished result as you can see from the before and after photos is brilliant, and the area has been completely transformed.
“We have worked with Astra Signs to deliver high-quality signage on our projects in conservation areas and involving listed buildings. These include the recent upgrade works to Manchester’s Royal Exchange (Grade-II*), and urban regeneration works in Coventry’s historic Burges. We have been very happy with the results, and have found Astra’s team to be professional and a pleasure to deal with”. – Justin O’Connor – Architect – Corstophine + Wright.
Unit 1 First Ave
Manchester M17 1JZ
Mon – Fri: 8am-5pm